Temporary Teaching Assistant Job Description
Redwood Day is modifying its operations in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the guidelines set forth by the Alameda County Public Health Department, the Alameda County Office of Education, and the California Public Health Department. To properly implement appropriate social distancing measures, Redwood Day is seeking to fill several Temporary Teaching Assistant positions. Temporary Teaching Assistants will remain in place until the pandemic subsides significantly enough to reduce or eliminate the operational requirements necessary to adhere to the recommendations as outlined by the agencies listed above.
Temporary Teaching Assistants will be assigned to any grade level, K-8, as needed. Upon initial assignment, a Temporary Teaching Assistant will remain assigned to the grade level stable group(s) until social distancing is no longer required or as otherwise determined by the Lower School and/or Middle School Directors. The Temporary Teaching Assistant position is intended to be, as the title implies, a temporary position. The position will no longer exist when the pandemic subsides and social distancing is no longer required.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Supervise 1-3 stable groups of up to 14 students, socially distanced, in a classroom setting alone, sometimes with another Year 1 or Year 2 Teaching Assistant, or sometimes with a Lower School or Middle School Core/Specialist Teacher
- When supervising students alone or with another adult present, assist students with learning by supporting classroom instruction, either in-person or live-streamed from another classroom location on campus
- Supervise a stable group of up to 14 students at recess, lunch, and other breaks throughout the day
- Supervise students for morning care (8:00--9:30 a.m.) as needed/required
- Supervise students for after school care through 4:30 p.m. as needed/required
- Ensure students comply with the School’s COVID-19 safety and hygiene practices
- Additional duties as assigned
- Assist with all tasks, at the direction of the mentor teacher, related to the implementation of Redwood Day’s Distance Learning Program following School breaks, in the event the stable group/School is required to quarantine, or upon order from public health officials; if/when students are engaged in Distance Learning, Temporary Teaching Assistants will continue to assist the Core and/or Specialist Teachers. Standard hours may be reduced if Redwood Day’s Distance Learning Program is implemented or suspended with 30 calendar days’ notice.
Schedule and Hours
Daily hours are Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Wed 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Desired Qualifications and Traits
- Bachelor's Degree
- Commitment to working in a diverse learning environment that necessitates flexibility, professional behavior, a positive attitude, and a desire to enhance professional growth
- Proficient in and/or familiar with classroom technologies including but not limited to: Google Apps for Education, Google Classroom for K-5, Zoom
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively with students ages 5-14
The pay for this position will be $22.26 per hour. The position is not benefits eligible and will be compensated through a third-party staffing agency.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job responsibilities are meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with federal and state laws. Employment at Redwood Day is “at-will”. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Offers are contingent on passing a background check and TB assessment.
Redwood Day is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available person in every job. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious beliefs, observance or practice, including religious dress or grooming practices), color, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, transitioned, transitioning or perceived to be transitioning), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy and breastfeeding, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, and physical or mental disability, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. In addition, Redwood Day does not permit discrimination based on dressing consistently with one’s gender identity or gender expression, or preferred gender, name, or pronoun usage.
Authorized Employment Status:
As required by federal law, all offers of employment are contingent on verification of an applicant or employee’s authorization for lawful employment in the United States at the start of their employment. Please note, the School does not sponsor applicants for employment-related visas.