Dear Redwood Day Parents and Guardians,
On behalf of the Redwood Day Parent Guardian Association (PGA), I would like to extend a warm welcome to both our returning families and our new families as we enter the 2019-2020 school year.
The PGA had an amazing fundraising year last year, which will help contribute to the installation of brand new water bottle filling stations throughout the school and new turf for the Middle School. These projects would not be possible without the hard work of the entire Redwood Day community. We are so fortunate to have a strong community of engaged parent and guardian volunteers who work closely with our school to create an exceptional environment for our students.
My family started at Redwood Day three years ago. We chose Redwood Day because of the social emotional learning, the diversity and inclusion program, and the social justice component of the curriculum. We wanted a school that reflected our own home’s values, and we could not be happier. My daughters are now incoming 3rd, 5th, and 7th graders, and I am so grateful for how Redwood Day has not only enriched my daughters’ lives but mine as well.
As PGA President, I am honored to invite you to join me and get involved in this amazing community. Every Redwood Day parent and guardian is a member of the PGA. I encourage you to volunteer and attend our PGA sponsored events as a great way to spend your time interacting with students, connecting with fellow parents and guardians, and accomplishing things that truly make a difference. Whether you have thirty minutes or a couple of hours, your ideas, your time, and your talents can help contribute to our school community. To learn more about volunteering opportunities, please click HERE
Below are some of our key events, each with a ton of volunteer opportunities!
- Oakland Pride Parade & Festival on September 8. Represent Redwood Day at Oakland Pride! We will be marching in the parade and hosting a table to show our support and build awareness for our LGBTQ+ friends.
- Fall Festival on October 26. Enjoy an afternoon of play, food, and activities for the entire family - all for free!
- Generations Day on November 22. An event that honors and welcomes Grandparents and special friends to visit the classrooms. Students proudly share their Redwood Day experience with their guests.
- The Book Fair on December 2-6. Shop books galore for all ages and support Redwood Day at the same time!
- Redwood Day At Night on March 28, followed by the Online Auction. These are the PGA’s biggest fundraising events.
- Fun Run/Walk on May 16. Walk, jog, or stroll to keep up with the kids and the dogs around Lake Merritt. A family fundraising event supporting the school’s tuition assistance program.
Our monthly PGA meetings are open to the whole community, and attending is a great start to getting involved. Our first PGA meeting will be held on October 22 at 7 p.m. in the Library.
I look forward to seeing you all at the PGA welcome coffee on the first day of school in the gallery!
All the best,
PGA President, 2019-2020