Dear Redwood Day Parents and Guardians,
On behalf of the Redwood Day Parent Guardian Association (PGA), I would like to extend a warm welcome to both our returning families and our new families as we enter the 2018-19 school year.
I would also like to highlight how spectacular our new Lower School playground is! The project wouldn't be possible without the hard work of the entire Redwood Day community. The PGA had a banner fundraising year last year (especially the auction!) and contributed $80,000 toward our new playground! I cannot wait to see the students' eyes light up when they walk on to the yard on their first day of school.
I remember back when we were touring schools for our older son Dominic (who is now entering 3rd grade, and our younger son Gabriel is entering 1st– yup, time flies!), we knew that we wanted a community that would not only teach our children but also nurture their social-emotional development. The moment we stepped into the School for the first time, it felt like home - and it has ever since.
As the PGA President, I am honored to invite you to join me and get involved in this amazing community. Every Redwood Day parent and guardian is a member of the PGA. I encourage you to volunteer and attend our events as a great way to meet other parents, make new friends, and further contribute to our community. Whether you have a little time or a lot, let’s all pitch in whatever way feels good to strengthen the community and support our children and their amazing teachers. This is part of what makes Redwood Day such a special place. To learn more about volunteering opportunities, please click HERE
Below are some of our key events, each with a ton of opportunities!
- Oakland Pride Parade & Festival on September 9. Come represent Redwood Day at Oakland Pride! We will be marching in the parade and hosting a table to show our support and build awareness.
- The Fall Festival on October 13. Enjoy an afternoon of play, food, and activities for the entire family - all for free!
- Generations Day on November 16. An event that honors and welcomes Grandparents and special friends to visit the classrooms. Students proudly share their Redwood Day experience with their guests.
- Book Fair is November 26-30. Shop books galore for all ages and support Redwood Day at the same time!
- Redwood Day at Night on March 16, followed by the Online Auction, these are the PGA’s biggest fundraising events.
- Fun Run/Walk on May 18. Walk, jog or stroll to keep up with the kids and the dogs around Lake Merritt. A family fundraising event supporting the School’s Tuition Assistance program.
Our monthly PGA meetings are open to the whole community and attending is a great start to getting involved. Our first PGA meeting will be held on October 11 at 7 p.m. in the Library.
I hope to see all of you at the PGA welcome coffee on the first day of school in the gallery!
PGA President, 2018-2019